|Andrew McCarthy, guy I thought was cool|
(okay, still think he's pretty cool)
- Andrew McCarthy is the keynote speaker. Yes, that Andrew McCarthy--the guy from Mannequin, Weekend at Bernies, and Pretty in Pink. Actor, director, and award-winning travel writer. I'm psyched to see one of my childhood idols--yes, I idolized a guy who chased around an inanimate girlfriend and worked for a deceased boss; what can I say? It was the 80s!
- Fort Collins is an F+W Media hub. Why is that important? Because I've been employed by F+W Media since the days when they were known as F&W Publishing (remember when media companies were called publishing companies?), but I've never been to our Fort Collins hub. Who knows if I'll have time to meet up with any of my F+W homies, but it'll be cool to be near them nonetheless.
- Colorado rocks! And it's not just because of the Rockies. Okay, mostly it's because of the mountains--the last time I visited Colorado I ventured with Tammy up to Breckenridge, which was great (after I adjusted to the altitude anyway). Despite it's needlessly confusing airport, I had a blast the last time I visited Colorado.
- Writers conferences are fun. They just are. It's always inspiring to meet other writers and publishing professionals. Ideas always grow in these settings--as do personal connections and future opportunities. That' right, I'm advocating that all writers get out to events to help their careers--in both creative and professional ways.
- I'm speaking. Okay, I have a love-hate relationship with speaking in front of groups. I love it, but I always expect the audience to pelt me with rotten fruits and veggies (because, you know, they always carry them to live events--just in case). My involvement includes presentations on blogging and finding freelance work. Plus, I get to lead a poetry roundtable with an exclusive group of like 10 or so writers (see if you can get in).
Anyway, here's a little more information about the conference that was slipped to me by Kerrie Flanagan (my point person for the event):
The 8th annual Northern Colorado Writers Conference, April 26-27th at the Fort Collins Hilton, is the premiere writer’s conference in region. This year features keynote speaker, actor and director, Andrew McCarthy. From Pretty in Pink to National Geographic Traveler, McCarthy will share how he added award-winning travel writer and author to his list of accomplishments. His recently released memoir, The Longest Way Home, has been well received by critiques.
Also being featured at the event will be the high school Poetry Out Loud state champion who will recite poetry to the attendees Friday evening. During the course of the event, over 25 sessions will be offered by a carefully selected faculty that includes literary agents, editors, freelance writers, publishers and novelists.
The conference was started back in 2006 as a way for writers of all levels and genres to get together to learn more about the craft, connect with industry professionals and be in the company of other writers for two days. Eight years later the event is still going strong and draws in people from all over the country.
For more information about the conference, visit www.NorthernColoradoWriters.com.
Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.
Check out these other Not Bob posts for writers:
- Best Blogs for Writers to Read in 2013.
- You Look Like Your Mama Mated With a Rhino.
- Finding the Courage to Go For It.