Thursday, January 7, 2010

Poem-A-Day 2010: How to write the important poetry of the new decade

I'm excited to have finished my first week of poeming; hopefully, I can keep this up for 51 more.

Also, BIG NEWS: I just received my first acceptance of 2010! Four poems were selected for the upcoming Otoliths, which is one of my fave online journals.

007-How to write the important poetry of the new decade

Get conscious of it; get
unconscious of what you
want. Verb one noun after
another into verbs.

Then, break all your lines and
stanzas. Think about them;
don't think about what you
want next: Poems happen,

and so do you. Dive deep
into your life; share what
ever you think you can't
share--your embarrassing

evening of gas, your
failed first kiss. Never let
fear hold your tongue; even
the elderly are young

compared to Shakespeare and
Whitman. You're still alive;
celebrate! Sing your songs;
ignore every gong.

*****

I hope everyone is having a very poetic year so far!

If you're not already, you can follow me on Twitter @RobertLeeBrewer

2 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

that's what we need. the poetry gong show :)

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Sounds like a YouTube project.