Saturday, March 3, 2012

Poetic Saturdays: This Broken Telescope

This week's edition of Poetic Saturdays is a little different than normal. I'm in Chicago for the AWP Conference, so I've been busy soaking up the conference and the city--with my awesome wife Tammy by my side. I'll probably post about it in the next week or so. In the meantime, I hope this different poetic Saturday is still fun.



this broken telescope, by Robert Lee Brewer

too many children think the world began
when they did. like astronauts, they explore
the universe as if they are the first.
i remember the first time you revealed
the solar system, and i thought, dear god,
this is love, like a fool in a city
i'd never visited before. i won't
say it was a mistake, the way we were,
even as new galaxies engulf me.

*****

Previous Poetic Saturdays:
*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.


*****

Check out previous Not Bob posts:

4 comments:

Billie Miller~ *Writer*Poet:*Humanist said...

I like it. :)

www.roughwighting.net said...

I think it's a wonderful poem - short, yet says a lot of the universal way we all, as children, thought WE were the discoverers.

Unknown said...

A beautiful breath of poetry, Robert.

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Thank you, all, for the kind comments!