Monday, May 21, 2012

Advice for Writers: 034

Here are this week's nuggets of knowledge!

Learning to Embrace My Limits, by Kristan Hoffman. Here's a little reassurance for writers who don't feel they're ready (or even ever want) to go pro. Personally, I spent close to 15 years writing before trying to get published, and I still considered myself a writer without making a single submission.

Why Self-Conscious Writers Are Doomed, by K.M. Weiland. Of course, if you are writing to get published, then it's good to have an idea of who your audience might be.

25 Ways to Earn Your Audience, by Chuck Wendig. Many writers think, "If you write it, they will come." However, that's rarely the case--even if you've written the most amazing thing ever.

4 Ways to Immediately Improve Your Book Marketing Efforts, by Jane Friedman. These are all great tips, including leaving the hard-selling to your blog or website. Hard-selling on social media just doesn't produce great results. At the same time, it alienates social media connections.

What I Learned About Writing From My Lunch With a Dead Woman, by Carol Tice. What I like about this post is that it gives a little more perspective than just write-write-write or promote-promote-promote. Worth a read by all creators.

*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.


*****

Check out these other Not Bob posts for writers:


4 comments:

Carol Tice | Make a Living Writing said...

Thanks for the mention -- I've been touched by all the reactions to my tribute to a great friend, who taught me so much.

Abbie Taylor said...

I can relate to the article about recognizing your limits as a writer, and I was moved by the piece about having lunch with a dead woman. Thank you for posting these articles.

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Thank you for the great piece, Carol!

Genskie said...

this is a great help...i am not a pro and blogging is my kinda humble beginning. Have a great weekend
lots of love from the Philippines..

_Genskie_