By the way, this year's list offers more than 50 blogs. In 2011, I listed 31 wonderful blogs for writers; in 2012, I listed 39 great blogs for writers; this year, the final count is 55. Who knows what the final number will be next year? As always, I'm human about putting this list together, so don't take a snub as a personal attack.
|Brian Klems, double blogger at WritersDigest.com|
Writer's Digest Blogs
As a Senior Content Editor for the Writer's Digest Writing Community, I'm rather partial to the blogs on the WritersDigest.com site. My poetry blog (below) has a home there--as does the best blog covering literary agents anywhere.
- Guide to Literary Agents, by Chuck Sambuchino
- The Writer's Dig, by Brian Klems
- There Are No Rules, by Editors of Writer's Digest
- Questions & Quandaries, by Brian Klems (also)
- Poetic Asides, by Robert Lee Brewer
Learn How to Start (or Improve) Your Blog!
E-media guru Dan Blank of We Grow Media leads this 4-week Blogging 101 course. In addition to covering how to set up a blog, bloggers will learn how to create an editorial calendar to keep content on track, how to interact with readers and build a sense of community, what search engine optimization is and how to use it to your advantage, and more.
Click to continue.
My All-Star Blogs for Writers
These are the best of the best as far as I'm concerned by single bloggers (tag-teams have their own list below). Their content is updated frequently, and it's of high value. Everyone, regardless of genre, should be able to learn something on these blogs.
- Jeff Goins blog, by Jeff Goins
- Make a Living Writing, by Carol Tice
- The Renegade Writer, by Linda Formichelli
- The Prosperous Writer, by Christina Katz
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent, by Janet Reid
- The Positive Writer, by Bryan Hutchinson
- Jane Friedman: Being Human at Electric Speed, by Jane Friedman
- Rachelle Gardner, by Rachelle Gardner
- terribleminds, by Chuck Wendig
- Silliman's blog, by Ron Silliman
- Mystery Writing Is Murder, by Elizabeth Spann Craig
- Wordplay, by K.M. Weiland
|Not Bob, Jane Friedman, Porter Anderson, Christina Katz|
Tag-Team Blogs for Writers
These blogs could just as well be on the All-Star list, but they're mostly assembled through a group effort. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, some of these are the best at covering their specific areas.
- WordServe Water Cooler
- Harriet, the Blog
- Write To Done
- Best American Poetry blog
- Freelance Writing Jobs
- Kill Zone
- The Writers Alley
- The Write Practice
- Romance University
- The Passive Voice
- Grammar Girl
|Sandra Beasley, who digs poetry|
These blogs are just as cool as the others listed above, but they do it in their own unique ways. In fact, I'd say many of these blogs kind of have their own rocking attitude that the others above don't. If you can check them out regularly, you won't be disappointed.
- Chicks Dig Poetry, by Sandra Beasley
- Nathan Bransford, author, by Nathan Bransford
- Writer Beware blog, by Victoria Strauss
- Evil Editor, by an evil editor
- Red Lemon Club, by Alex Mathers
- Modern Confessional, by Collin Kelley
- InkyGirl, by Debbie Ridpath Ohi
- The Traveling Writer, by Alexis Grant
- Baggott Asher Bode, by Julianna Baggott
- Book of Kells, by Kelli Russell Agodon
- Jody Hedlund, by Jody Hedlund
- Kris Writes, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Jessie Cary blog, by Jessie Carty
- The Creative Penn, by Joanna Penn
- Live Write Thrive, by C.S. Lakin
- Moody Writing, by mooderino
- dbqp: visualizing poetics, by Geof Huth
- The Writer's Inner Journey, by Meredith Resnick
- LA Screenwriter, by Angela Guess
- Wordgathering, by Margo Roby
- Dean Wesley Smith, by Dean Wesley Smith
- Anne R. Allen's blog, by Anne R. Allen
- The Other Side of the Story, by Janice Hardy
- Writing Forward, by Melissa Donovan
Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.
Check out these other Not Bob posts for writers: