Monday, September 6, 2010

2010 Labor Day Weekend

Wow! What a weekend!

On Saturday morning, we (Reese, Will, Tammy, and myself) met up with the Teague clan (Tammy's sister Anne, brother-in-law Big Sean, and nephew Little Sean) and took a Marta train into the city to watch the DragonCon parade. Then, we wandered around in the hotel lobbies where the event was happening, which was a lot of fun.

*****

On Sunday, Tammy and I headed to Decatur for the Decatur Book Festival. We both were invited by JC Reilly to read at the Local Poetry stage at Java Monkey. It was a very fun experience, and I got to meet up with a lot of cool poets, which always gets me excited.

I think I even gave Thomas Lux a poem of mine with a handwritten url for my Poetic Asides blog after he said he liked my set (as well as Tammy's) and was interested in my blog (even though he said he doesn't read too many blogs). Of course, I didn't realize who I had spoken with until Tammy pointed it out to me later. Probably a good thing, because I would've been stumbling over myself. I happen to be reading his collection The Cradle Place right now, and I think it's great.

I'm not good at completely planning out my set list for poems yet, but I think I read the following poems during my 15-minute spot:
  1. "Babies"
  2. "Dream"
  3. "notveryreadableforhumans" (which took off with the person who may be Lux)
  4. "One day we looked for the snow" (which was published by La Fovea)
  5. "The world will worry for you"
  6. "Should she burn across the atmosphere"
  7. "the silence between us"
  8. "like welcome miracles"
  9. "dozen fortune cookies" (which was published by Ghost Ocean Magazine)
  10. "Father's shoes" (which was published by OCHO and selected by Collin Kelley, who was also in the audience and is one of the kindest people in poetry anywhere)
  11. "Solving the world's problems" (which was published in a different issue of OCHO)
  12. "Cold Water" (which was published in Escape Into Life)

*****

Today, we were mostly lazy, which is, of course, the best way to celebrate Labor Day.

*****

Follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer

4 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Your set was fantastic, RLB! It was a pleasure to hear you, but sorry I missed Tammy. So much to see and hear at DBF and not nearly enough time. :)

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Sounds like a fun time!

I live in the middle of nowhere without being able to travel so I never get to attend readings or book festivals. **Sighs

Take care.

Jessie Carty said...

One of these years I have to make it down to the festival! Congrats :)

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Thanks, Collin! It was a lot of fun. There are so many talented writers speaking at any given moment.

Jennifer, as someone who used to live in the middle of Ohio farmland, I totally understand living in the middle of nowhere, though even then I was still within an hour or two of a few different cities (Indy, Cincy, Dayton, Columbus).

Jessie, you do need to make it down one of these years. Plus, Tammy and I keep talking about how we need to make it up to NC sometime to meet up with all of you talented poets over there.