Thursday, August 20, 2009

Meetings, programming & other nonsense

Whew! What a busy day! (Started around 7ish this morning and just ended a few minutes ago.)

I usually don't have more than two or three meetings scheduled during an entire week. And those meetings that are scheduled usually get canceled or postponed (often postponed multiple times--only to be eventually canceled). I came into today with three scheduled meetings, so I was expecting one or two to actually stick.

Actually, all three meetings happened in addition to a fourth meeting (that was scheduled like 30 minutes ahead of time). Wow! It's amazing how things happen in waves in publishing.

*****

I submitted a chapbook a few weeks ago for the open submission period of a small press. Last night, I received confirmation that the editors decided to pass on the manuscript. Oh well.

I was actually feeling pretty good about that chapbook manuscript. So, I'll probably see if there are any tweaks I can make before submitting it out again.

Speaking of submissions, I really need to send out some individual poems, too.

*****

I may be taking on some programming responsibilities soon. I mean, I've been formatting, templating, styling and configuring on the database for a while anyway (which is pretty much the same as programming). So, I don't think programming on the website will be too much different. It's totally cliche, but sometimes if you want something done (and done in a reasonable amount of time and somewhat right), you gotta do it yourself. The only possible hurdle is that I have no experience with these crazy XSLT style sheets, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's nothing I can't learn (eventually).

*****

Fun daily routine: So one of my favorite daily rituals (during the school week) is to walk up to the bus stop with Tammy and Will to wait for Reese to get home from school. It's a nice excuse to get out of the house--if only for 20-30 minutes--to get a little Vitamin D and some fresh air. Yesterday, it even started sprinkling on us as we were walking back from the apartment, and there's nothing like the smell of summer rain.

*****

It's official! The Cincinnati Bengals beat the New England Patriots! Okay, okay--so it was preseason. The score was 7-6 (kind of like a baseball game or something), and the big surprise is that Chad Ochocinco (formerly Chad Johnson) kicked the game-winning PAT. That's why he's on my fantasy football team.

*****

Oh yeah. Here are my most recent posts at my Poetic Asides blog:

3 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

sorry to hear about the chapbook. i had yet another rejection slip on my favorite of the chapbooks i've written so time to tweak again!

Anonymous said...

And I bet you paid for it too. This is what stops me from submitting my own manuscript. One day, but I'm not gonna be happy about it. haha

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Actually, it didn't cost me anything, since I submitted the manuscript to a press during their open submission period. Those are definitely hard to find; most chapbooks are published as parts of contests.