Thursday, November 18, 2010

Recipe: The best meat loaf ever

Okay, most people don't like meat loaf. Or if they do, they only like the meat loaf their own family made. My wife, for instance, did not even like meat loaf before she met me. Then, she tried my meat loaf and now she's the one who craves it.

So, here's my amazing meat loaf recipe:

Ingredients:

2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
3/4 sleeve of crushed saltine crackers
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon chopped onion seasoning
splash of milk
ketchup


Preparation:
  1. Add everything except meat and ketchup in mixing bowl 
  2. Add in meat and mix well
  3. After mixing, spray 10x13 pan and form loaf
  4. Spread ketchup all over outside of the loaf
  5. Cover pan with foil
  6. Bake at 325 degrees for 100 minutes
  7. Let it sit in pan for 10-15 minutes before taking out to slice
If you try slicing before allowing that 10-15 minutes, the loaf will likely crumble.

Personally, I like to eat my meat loaf with A1 Steak Sauce, but Tammy prefers ketchup. We both like to have mashed potatoes with our meat loaf, but a baked potato or seasoned french fries would work well too.

Some people like cheese in their meat loaf. I'm not a huge fan, but it's easy enough to spread cheese over this meat loaf after cooking, and it should melt easily.

This is a true comfort food dish. I recommend fixing it up on days when you're planning to just hang around the house in your pajamas.

*****

Follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer

3 comments:

... Paige said...

Dude! I make a crappy meatloaf buy my Beloved makes the bestest. I have him mix up 2 loaves at a time...I cook one and feeze the other.

I will have suggest trying the pork (love pork) and the splash of milk (seems weird to me) but what's a splash gonna hurt.

poeming is going well, very colorful

Marisa Birns said...

Oh, this is great! Love meatloaf with mashed potatoes...usually the ones I get in diners (I know, I know).

But will try this. *looks in kitchen* And I have all the ingredients!

Thank you.

Okay, will follow you on Twitter for more recipes...um...writings

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Hey, Paige. The splash of milk is to help with mixing the ingredients. It doesn't affect the flavor at all.

That's great, Marisa! It's hard to write on an empty stomach. :)