Monday, January 24, 2011

Upcoming Speaking Events (January 2011)

This past weekend, I firmed up some upcoming speaking plans. I usually end up doing a handful of events each year, and it appears that I'll continue that trend in the near future. (If you run an event and need speakers, just send me an e-mail with details at robertleebrewer@gmail.com.)

So here are the upcoming events:

Blue Ridge Writers' Conference
On April 1-2, I'll be in Blue Ridge, Georgia, speaking on the following topics: "Target the Best Markets for Your Work" and "Establish a Social Media Platform to Launch Your Career." Other speakers include Sally McMillan, Scott Owens, Hope Clark, and Jennifer Jabaley. Learn more at their website: http://blueridgewritersconference.com/.

Austin International Poetry Festival
This event is sort of a surprise, but I was just invited to be a National Speaker from April 7-10. In addition to 200 local poets, there will be more than a dozen national and international poets (including myself) leading workshops and giving readings as poets take over Austin for four days of National Poetry Month. Learn more online at http://www.aipf.org/.

Plus, I already have the following event on my 2012 calendar:

Writing Away Retreats
I'll be a member of the Writing Away Retreats staff on Labor Day Weekend in 2012. At the moment, the other staff includes Sandra Bond, Barbara Samuel (O'Neal), Kate Gale, and Kristen Nelson. Based in Breckenridge, Colorado, these Writing Away Retreats really are something else and include manuscript consultations with members of the staff (including myself). Learn more online at http://www.writingawayretreats.com/.

*****

I admit that I'm excited about all of these events for multiple reasons. Of course, I'm always excited (and nervous) to be around other writers. But I'm also very interested in visiting all three of the locations: Blue Ridge, Austin and Breckenridge.

If you're able to make it out to any of these events, just let me know. Maybe we can meet up before or at least during the event. And if you're the shy type, just remember: I am too. Can't wait to hit the road in April!

*****

Follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer

*****

Travelers and conference goers need the right stuff to get the most out of the experience, including:
  • An interesting book that makes you look really smart. Like The Poetry Home Repair Manual, by Ted Kooser, or the 2011 Writer's Market, edited by yours truly. 
  • A smartphone, so that you can social network between (or even during) sessions. I recently purchased a Droid Incredible (and love it), but I know many who have an iPhone (and love it). As my buddy Brian Klems likes to say, " You really can't go wrong with either."
  • Luggage. Personally, I prefer to use my orange JanSport backpack from college, but there are times when I have to bite the bullet and pack a suitcase. If you go this route, make sure your luggage has wheels and is easy to manuever around people who just stop walking without warning in airport terminals and hotel lobbies (it happens--often).
  • Doritos. It never hurts to have something around on which to munch.

2 comments:

J. R. McLemore said...

I have yet to visit a writer's conference, but since this one is relatively close to home, I will plan to visit. $60 isn't bad to attend. The only problem is, my wife normally makes our weekend plans, so I've got to let her know ahead of time and convince her to attend with me. If I show up, I'll find you. Thanks for the heads-up!

Robert Lee Brewer said...

I hope you can make it out. It is a really good price for a conference.