Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Publishing My First Collection of Poetry

Recently, I've made the decision to publish my first collection of poetry as a chapbook. Further, I've decided to go ahead and do it the old-fashioned way via self-publishing. Plus, I'm going to do the first (and probably only) printing as a limited edition of 101 individually numbered copies. These are the decisions I've already made.

A few other decisions already made:
  • The official release date will be April 1, 2011.
  • The official price will be $10 (which includes shipping to anywhere in the U.S.--not sure about the rates for outside the U.S.).
  • All purchased copies will be signed by the author (moi).
  • Super eager readers can pre-order now and receive copies before the "official release date." Just e-mail me (at robertleebrewer@gmail.com) for details.
*****

As far as the decisions not yet made, I haven't decided on what to name the collection just yet, though I've definitely got a short list of ideas. Also, I haven't decided on my final rotation of poems, though you can bet that these poems will make the cut:
There are another 30+ poems fighting to make the final cut, but there's only so much room available in a chapbook-length collection. So I'll share more details as they develop, including what the cover art looks like. I'm thinking it'll be something lo-tech and sincere, which is how I roll.

Also, if you have any requests for poems you'd like included, go ahead and let me know now. If I'm having trouble deciding between a few poems near the end, your voice may sway me in one direction over another.

*****

In the near future, I'm going to start sharing poems from this collection on this blog as part of my experimentation with video. Recently, I purchased a web cam, and I'm going to try reading some poems and sharing them here. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to figure everything out.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my exciting poetry chapbook news! Stay tuned for more information between now and April 1, 2011!

*****

Follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer

*****

Check out some of my favorite poetry collections of 2010:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exciting news...congratulations! I love the idea of the 101 signed copies.

Good luck with all of your final decisions -- looking forward to reading/hearing more of your poetry.

Jane Friedman said...

Brilliant!

Jeanne Veillette Bowerman said...

Congratulations, Robert!

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Sounds awesome. Maybe you could blog about your own experiences with self-publishing for the rest of us. Everyone has different successes with going it alone.

Anonymous said...

Neat news! Thanks again for all you do. You are truly an amazing young man. I only have two kids, but only get half as much done as you.

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Hey, Jennifer, I definitely will be sharing my self-pub progress. I'm pretty excited.

Poetcolette, thank you. I'm just lucky to have a well-behaved bunch of boys and an amazing wife (who is also an amazing poet).

Thank you for your support, Jane and Jeanne!

Amanda, I'm looking forward to sharing, especially the video stuff.

Lisa Marie Basile said...

This is exciting. I cannot wait to see it. I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Caper would love to mention this once it comes out.

Robert Lee Brewer said...

That's great, Lisa!

Plus, I want to thank everyone who has contacted me about pre-ordering. It's very exciting to receive such a healthy response!