Friday, October 7, 2011

Autumn Music

It's been a while, but every so often I like to drop some music on this here blog. Tonight feels like a perfect opportunity to share some music that I associate with my favorite season: Autumn. To hear the songs, just click the song titles, and you'll be directed to YouTube. Simple as that.

October Swimmer, by JJ72. The first time I heard this song I fell in love with it. To me, nothing is more autumn than October.

Tom Boy, by Bettie Serveert. One of my all-time favorite songs. If you've never heard it before, then you're in for a treat.

Empress of the North, by the Moondoggies. This is a sweet, little ballad by a Seattle band.


Moondoggies are kinda autumny.

Shadow of the Season, by Screaming Trees. Speaking of Seattle, this band always gets me thinking of trees and the leaves that fall off them.

Feed the Tree, by Belly. Speaking of trees, some of which scream, this song totally gets me in the mood to find a leaf-covered path in a big forest.

The Wooden Song, by the Butthole Surfers. And maybe it's just all this talk of trees that makes me think of my favorite Butthole Surfers song, but now the thought is officially thunk.

Home, by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. You've probably heard this one a lot lately, but I don't care; I love this song. It makes me think of autumn, but also my wonderful wife, who always makes me feel like I'm home.


Azure Ray reminds us autumn is more than one month.

November, by Azure Ray. October is my favorite month of autumn, but November has a lot to offer too. The nights start earlier, and the air gets crisper.

Cut-Out Witch, by Guided By Voices. One of my favorite GBV songs and definitely the one that gets me thinking autumn, because witches make me think of halloween and well, yeah...trick or treat.

C'mere, by Interpol. I don't know. I guess Interpol is just kind of an autumn band whether they want to be one or not. When the temps drop, I'm hunting down their music.

Your Ghost, by Kristin Hersh (with Michael Stipe). I can see the full moon, the bare tree limbs, the circling ghosts.

Postcards From Italy, by Beirut. "Those were our times, those were our times..."


Beirut. On the fire escape of autumn.

California Dreamin, by Mamas & the Papas. "All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray..." I know this song happens on a winter's day, but hey, it always makes me think of autumn.

Layla, by Derek and the Dominoes. I'm not sure why I think of this as an autumn song. Maybe it's the furious passion of the first half of the song (like the final nights of summer) before the beautiful fade of the second half (kind of like autumn taking hold).

Dream On, by Aerosmith. One of those rare perfect songs, and enjoy it until winter.

*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

******

More of my favorites:

No comments: